hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: HBase and unit tests
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2012 04:45:48 GMT
On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Cristofer Weber
<cristofer.weber@neogrid.com> wrote:
> Hi there!
> After I started studying HBase, I've searched for open source projects backed by HBase
and I found Titan distributed graph database (you probably heard about it). As soon as I read
in their documentation that HBase adapter is experimental and suboptimal (disclaimer here:
https://github.com/thinkaurelius/titan/wiki/Using-HBase) I volunteered to help improving this
adapter and since then I made a few changes to improve on running tests (reduced from hours
to minutes) and also an improvement on search feature.
> Now I'm trying to break the dependency on a pre-installed HBase for unit tests and found
miniCluster inside HBase tests, but minicluster demands too much time to start and I don't
know if tweaking on configs will improve significantly. Is there a way to start a 'lightweight'
instance, like programatically starting a standalone instance?

How much is 'too much time' Cristofer?  Do you want a standalone cluster at all?
P.S. If digging in this area, you might find the blog post by the
sematextians of use:

View raw message