hbase-user mailing list archives

From Eric Czech <e...@nextbigsound.com>
Subject MemStore and prefix encoding
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2012 21:44:24 GMT
Hi everyone,

Does prefix encoding apply to rows in MemStores or does it only apply
to rows on disk in HFiles?  I'm trying to decide if I should still
favor larger values in order to not repeat keys, column families, and
qualifiers more than necessary and while prefix encoding seems to
negate that concern for storage on disk, I'm not sure if it's still
applicable to in-memory storage.

Also, I had two other quick (unrelated) questions and I assume it'd be
less annoying if I put them all in one email:

1.  Do column families defined for a table introduce any overhead for
rows that don't put any values in them?  I don't think that's the case
but I wanted to be sure.

2.  Do writes with the same key, column family, qualifier, and
timestamp count towards the version limit?

Thanks for the help!