hbase-user mailing list archives

From Eric Czech <e...@nextbigsound.com>
Subject Ideal row size
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 13:35:16 GMT
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to store many small values in indexes created via MR jobs,
and I was hoping to get some advice on how to structure my rows.
Essentially, I have complete control over how large the rows should be
as the values are small, consistent in size, and can be grouped
together in any way I'd like.  My question then is, what's the ideal
size for a row in Hbase, in bytes?  I'm trying to determine how to
group my values together into larger values, and I think having a
target size to hit would make that a lot easier.

I know fewer rows is generally better to avoid the repetitive storage
of keys, cfs, and qualifiers provided that those rows still suit a
given application, but I'm not sure at what point the scale will tip
in the other direction and I'll start to see undue memory pressure or
compaction issues with rows that are too large.

Thanks in advance!