hbase-user mailing list archives

From Alex Baranau <alex.barano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can I specify the range inside of fuzzy rule in FuzzyRowFilter?
Date Sat, 18 Aug 2012 19:13:59 GMT
@Michael,

This is not a simple partial key scan. Take this example of rows:

aaaaa_100001_20120801
aaaaa_100001_20120802
aaaaa_100001_20120802
aaaaa_100001_20120803
aaaaa_100001_20120804
aaaaa_100001_20120805
aaaaa_100002_20120801
aaaaa_100002_20120802
aaaaa_100002_20120802
aaaaa_100002_20120803
aaaaa_100002_20120804
aaaaa_100002_20120805

where aaaaa is userId, 10000x is actionId and 201208xx is a timestamp. If
the query is to select actions in the range 20120803-20120805 (in this case
last 3 days), then when scan encounters row:

aaaaa_100001_20120801

it "knows" it can fast forward scanning to "aaaaa_100001_20120803", and
skip some records (in practice, this may mean skipping really a LOT of
recrods).

@Anil,

> Sample Query: I want to get all the event which happened in last month.

1. What other queries do you do? Just trying to understand why this row key
format was chosen.

2. Can you set timestamp on Puts the same as timestamp "assigned" to your
record by app logic? If you can, then this is the first thing to try and
perform scan with the help of scan.setTimeRange(startTs, stopTs). Depending
on how you write the data this may help a lot with the reading speed by ts,
because that way you may skip the whole HFiles from reading based on ts. I
don't know about your data a lot to judge, but:
  * in case you have not a lot of users most of which are with long history
of interaction with you system (i.e. there are a lot of records for
specific "userX_actionY") and
  * if you write data with monotonically increasing timestamp
  * your regions are not too big
then this might help you, as it will increase the chance that some of the
HFiles will contain data *all of which* doesn't fell into the time interval
you select by. Otherwise, if written data items with different timestamps
are very well spread across the HFiles the chance that some HFiles are
skipped from reading is very small. I believe Lars George has illustrated
this in one of his presentations, but couldn't find it quickly.

> something like FuzzyRowFilter with range

Yes, smth like this looks like would be very valuable. It would be
interesting to implement too. Let's see if I find the time for that in my
work plan. If you want to try it by yourself, go for it! Let me know if you
need a help in that case ;)

Alex Baranau
------
Sematext :: http://sematext.com/ :: Hadoop - HBase - ElasticSearch - Solr