hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Encryption in HBase
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 23:42:16 GMT
Hi,

First you have to ask yourself what's the purpose of the encryption.
Usually encryption is part of a bigger security implementation, so I don't think you'll gain
much by encrypting at this level of granularity.

Looking at trying to encrypt at the HFile level....

Unless I'm missing something, your HFIle will span multiple HDFS blocks. Each HDFS block is
actually a file, right?
So what happens when you fetch a row from a file in a simple get()?

You can see that you have a lot of work to do.

Compare that to encrypting the column data itself.
Storing and encrypted byte array vs an un-encrypted byte array isn't much different.

Does that make sense?

On Aug 8, 2012, at 2:47 PM, Mohammad Tariq <dontariq@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Michael,
>
>       Thank you for the valuable suggestion. Could you please provide
> me the the drawbacks of it?(Just out of curiosity).
> Regards,
>    Mohammad Tariq
>

> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> You don't want to do that.
>> I mean you really don't want to do that. ;-)
>>
>> You would be better off doing a strong encryption at the cell level. You can use
co-processors to do that if you'd like.