hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: CheckAndAppend Feature
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 01:25:23 GMT
Hi Lars,

To be honest its just an initial gut feel.
I haven't thought the issue through and I wonder if there are any downsides like dead locks
or if some code goes awry how to recover.

I understand that its on the server side, and that's why I'm a little concerned.

On Aug 7, 2012, at 8:05 PM, lars hofhansl <lhofhansl@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> do you have a specific downside in mind?The built-in checkAndSet type operations do the
same.
> Coprocessors are an extension mechanism for HBase, not to be compared with (say) server
side stored procedures in relational databases.

> (the canonical example is that nothing stops a RegionObserver implementation from calling
System.exit(), taking the RegionServer with it).

> -- Lars

lock row, check, fail or update, unlock row.

>> Since the patch is so simple I'll commit that soon (to 0.94.2 and 0.96)
>>

>> -- Lars

have no way to create a region lock (just checked the code).
>> (That is something we have to change I think - I will create an issue once the Jira
system is back from the walk in the park).