hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Secondary indexes suggestions
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 02:38:12 GMT
I think you need to think outside of the box...

I've thought about it a little more and while there's validity to indexing at the RS, there's
a bit more of a headache.

But I think you've been too dismissive of looking at the index at the table level and not
at the region level.

On Aug 14, 2012, at 8:59 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:

> Hey Lars,
>
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 5:08 PM, lars hofhansl <lhofhansl@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Yep. It's not simple if (and only if) you data is changing a lot. Michael is right
though, that it is simple problem if your data is static.

> Yeah, a good option for that are MR processes that emit in one shot
> HFiles for bulk import of infrequent updates into the primary table
> and all projections/materializations/indices. We have an application
> that does this in production.
>
>> Todd Lipcon and I were talking last week. And he mentioned primitives like logged
updates,operations that will eventually complete, and as long as log-replay can be forced
before a read operation they can be used for consistent indexes.