hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Pamecha, Abhishek" <apame...@x.com>
Subject Re: Using HBase serving to replace memcached
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 05:05:40 GMT
Thanks all..

i Sent from my iPad with iMstakes

On Aug 22, 2012, at 20:53, "J Mohamed Zahoor" <jmozah@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you need to search row and column qualifiers you can pick  row+ col bloom to help
you skip blocks.

> ./Zahoor@iPad
>
> On 22-Aug-2012, at 10:58 PM, "Pamecha, Abhishek" <apamecha@x.com> wrote:
>
>> Great explanation. May be diverging from the thread's original question, but could
you also care to explain the difference  if any, in searching for a rowkey [ that you mentioned
below ] Vs searching for a specific column qualifier. Are there any optimizations for column
qualifier search too or that one just needs to load all blocks that match the rowkey crieteria
and then scan each one of them from start to end?

>> Thanks,
>> Abhishek

index.I will try to clarify this point.
>> Block index will be there with every HFile. Within an HFile the data will be written
as multiple blocks. While reading data block by block only HBase read data from the HDFS layer.
The block index contains the information regarding the blocks within that HFile. The information
include the start and end rowkeys which resides in that particular block and the block information
like offset of that block and its length etc. Now when a request comes for getting a rowkey
'x' all the HFiles within that region need to be checked.[KV can be present in any of the
HFile] Now in order to know this row will be present in which block within an HFile, this
block index will be used. Well this block index will be there in memory always. This lookup
will tell only the possible block in which the row is present. HBase will load that block
and will read through it to get the row which we are interested in now.
>> Bloom is like it will have information about each and every row added into that HFile[Block
index wont have info about each and every row]. This bloom information will be there in memory
always. So when a read request to get row 'x' in an Hfile comes, 1st the bloom is checked
whether this row is there in this file or not. If this is not there, as per the bloom, no
block at all will be fetched. But if bloom is not enabled, we might find one block which is
having a row range such that 'x' comes in between and Hbase will load that block. So usage
of blooms can avoid this IO. Hope this is clear for you now.

>> -Anoop-

index, intermediate-level index and root-level index. It is appreciate if you could give more
details what they are, or point me to the related documents.

>> BTW: the document you pointed me is very good, however I miss some basic background
of 3 terms I mentioned above. :-)