hbase-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Keller <brya...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Region balancing question
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 17:20:04 GMT
I'm using 0.92 (Cloudera CDH4). Yes I definitely do not want to balance all regions across
all tables together, as some tables are much more active than others and thus some regions
are barely being used. I was thinking this might be what the balancer was doing. The regions
are balanced in terms of total regions across all tables.

Is there a way to change this behavior in 0.92?

On Aug 2, 2012, at 2:54 AM, Anoop Sam John <anoopsj@huawei.com> wrote:

> Hi
>  Which version you are using?
> From 0.94 in the balancer there are 2 ways of balancing. One is by table balancing in
which balancer will make sure the regions for one table is balanced across the RSs. But in
the other way of balancing in generic way it will consider all the regions across all the
tables as one group only and will balance all across the RSs.  Seems the 2nd way is happening
with ur case. Can u check the total number of regions (across all the tables) in every RS.
Is this balanced now?

> "hbase.master.loadbalance.bytable" config param can select any of the 2 ways of balancing.
This is added in 0.94 version. You might be using some older version?

> -Anoop-

The table in question has a total of 12 regions. I noticed that 1 node has 6 regions, another
has zero, and the remaining two nodes have the expected 3 regions. I'm a little confused how
this can happen.

> The node with zero regions for the table has regions for other tables, so the node seems
to be functioning properly. I'm not sure how this particular table can end up having no regions
on this one node. Should the balancer distribute the regions evenly across the cluster for
a given table? If so, is there a way to force it to rebalance?