hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: column based or row based storage for HBase?
Date Sun, 05 Aug 2012 19:42:18 GMT
Hi Lin,

HBase stores key -> value mappings sorted by key. So it is a key value store.

The key has internal structure, for example it starts with a row key.
HBase makes extra guarantees about a set of keys that have the same row key (keeps them colocated,
allows atomic operations, etc).

I tried to write this up a while back: http://hadoop-hbase.blogspot.com/2011/12/introduction-to-hbase.html

-- Lars

----- Original Message -----
From: Lin Ma <linlma@gmail.com>
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Sunday, August 5, 2012 6:04 AM
Subject: column based or row based storage for HBase?

Hi guys,

I am wondering whether HBase is using column based storage or row based

   - I read some technical documents and mentioned advantages of HBase is
   using column based storage to store similar data together to foster
   compression. So it means same columns of different rows are stored together;
   - But I also learned HBase is a sorted key-value map in underlying
   HFile. It uses key to address all related columns for that key (row), so it
   seems to be a row based storage?

It is appreciated if anyone could clarify my confusions. Any related
documents or code for more details are welcome.

thanks in advance,

View raw message