hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Where to run Thrift
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 05:55:39 GMT
As I said, I have not used this myself... So take this with a grain of salt :)

I imagine the advantage would be no additional servers/processes that would need to be monitored
and managed, as well as a (slight) reduction in overall resource consumption.
On the downside any resource leak in the embedded thrift server (or in fact any other bug
there) would now also impact the region server. And you are forced to run the thrift service
on the same machine that hosts a region server.

-- Lars
________________________________
From: Shrijeet Paliwal <shrijeet@rocketfuel.com>
To: user@hbase.apache.org; lars hofhansl <lhofhansl@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:39 PM
Subject: Re: Where to run Thrift

Lars,
Thanks for the pointer, its indeed interesting way. Two follow up questions  :
    1. Author states "Rather than a separate process, it can be advantageous in some situations
for each RegionServer to embed their own ThriftServer" , do you happen to have insights on
what are those situations?
    2. Could there be a situation / application_use_case where HBASE-4460 prove to be unfavorable to
an extent where it impacts region server's performance?

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 9:19 PM, lars hofhansl <lhofhansl@yahoo.com> wrote:

There is a little documented feature that Jonathan Gray added a while back: Running a thrift
server as a thread as part of each region server.
>This is enabled by settting hbase.regionserver.export.thrift to true in your configuration.
>
>While I have not personally tried it, it looks like a fairly lightweight approach and
does not add to the monitoring overhead.