hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Where to run Thrift
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 04:19:16 GMT
There is a little documented feature that Jonathan Gray added a while back: Running a thrift
server as a thread as part of each region server.
This is enabled by settting hbase.regionserver.export.thrift to true in your configuration.

While I have not personally tried it, it looks like a fairly lightweight approach and does
not add to the monitoring overhead.

This is the jira: HBASE-4460. This is only available in 0.94+ (0.94.1 should be out soon).

-- Lars

----- Original Message -----
From: Eric <eric.xkcd@gmail.com>
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:32 AM
Subject: Where to run Thrift

I'm currently running thrift on all region server nodes. The reasoning is
that you can run jobs on this cluster and these jobs, when using thrift,
can connect to localhost.
The drawback is that I'm running lots of thrift daemons of course which all
need to be monitored.

An alternative would be to create one or more dedicated Thrift / REST nodes
which have high specs (raid, etc.). Possible with a load balancer in front
of them. What would you guys recommend?