hbase-user mailing list archives

From Anoop Sam John <anoo...@huawei.com>
Subject RE: Retrieve Put timestamp
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 04:42:32 GMT
Currently in Append there is a setter to specify whether to return the result or not. Similar
way we can use for Put? Only with specific use cases the return TS might be needed.
May be in a generic way we can return the attributes of the Mutation? So any thing which the
client needs back can be added into the attributes [Any byte[] value]
and we can return the same to client [If the flag is turned on] User can add these attributes
using pre/post CP hooks.

-Anoop-
From: saint.ack@gmail.com [saint.ack@gmail.com] on behalf of Stack [stack@duboce.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 3:41 AM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: Retrieve Put timestamp

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Wei Tan <wtan@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> We have a similar requirement and here is the solution in our mind:
> add a coprocessor, in prePut() get the current ms and set it to put ---
> the current implementation get the current ms and set it in put()
> return the ms generated to prePut() to client. For now put() does not
> return any value. we need to change the behavior of it
>
> Any flaw in this design?

In 0.96 we have moved to protobufs.  The put/mutate call currently
doesn't return anything:

message MutateResponse {
  optional Result result = 1;

  // used for mutate to indicate processed only
  optional bool processed = 2;
}

Should be easy enough changing it to run timestamps?  Should it do it
always or should we return the request so you have to ask for it?

St.Ack