hbase-user mailing list archives

From N Keywal <nkey...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maximum number of tables ?
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2012 08:14:44 GMT
Hi,

There is no real limits as far as I know. As you will have one region
per table (at least :-), the number of region will be something to
monitor carefully  if you need thousands of table. See
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#arch.regions.size.

Don't forget that you can add as many column as you want, and that an
empty cell cost nothing. For example, a class hierarchy is often
mapped to multiple tables in a RDBMS, while in HBase having a single
table for the same hierarchy makes much more sense. Moreover, there is
no transaction between tables, so sometimes a 'uml composition' will
go to a single table. And so on.

N.