hbase-user mailing list archives

From Mohammad Tariq <donta...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBASE -- Regionserver and QuorumPeer ?
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 11:53:15 GMT
What kind of explanation is this???????????

Regards,
    Mohammad Tariq

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry St. Ack,
>
> Which is why I said that I was losing it...
>
> The entire quote was...
> "On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Jay Wilson
> <registration@circle-cross-jn.com> wrote:
>> Can a regionserver and quorumpeer reside on the same node?
>
> It can, but you want to consider how disk is allocated in the cluster.
>
> A typical and recommended configuration is HBase RegionServer and HDFS
> DataNode colocated on the nodes. The DataNode will use locally
> attached disk to store and serve blocks.
> "
>
> Looking at and parsing this you have two things...
>
> 1) When reading the 'A typical and recommended configuration...' can imply that its possible
while not recommended to try and run an HBase RS while not running a DN service on the same
node.

> 2) "It can, but you want to consider how disk is allocated in the cluster."
> While on a single machine running as a pseudo cluster is one thing, running a fully distributed
cluster is another.

> I am not finding fault with what Andy was saying. The problem is that we tend not to
use stronger language when discussing these topics.  And my point wasn't just on this topic
but others posts where we say 'not a good idea' yet someone still pursues the idea until there's
a chorus of saying not to do something.  I'm not faulting the poster because he wasn't and
isn't the only one who does this... We see it all the time where someone goes down the wrong
path, and is looking for a quick solution, rather than following the recommendation.

> Now I'm not sure if my KISS statement or my 'dead hooker' analogy or my jokes about drugs.
>
> KISS, I guess goes back to when I first learned that term. It was a 200 level Engineering
graphics course where the instructor mentioned KISS and then stalled on the second S (KIS
== Keep it Simple) and used the term 'Stupid' to refer back to the engineer who didn't keep
it simple. Of course he was the same Professor who couldn't figure out an algorithm without
using a GOTO statement and got huffy when I made the mistake of correcting him in class.
(But that's another story.) Not sure if it should be KIS or if the second S in KISS was for
something else.

> The 'dead hooker' analogy goes back to watching movie plots and subplots where the hero
wakes up next to a body of a dead woman in bed.  While in James Bond films its the evil turned
good hottie that gets it, I was thinking back to the Cameron Diaz flick 'Very Bad Things'
- 1998 movie where the plot line is based on a prostitute getting killed at a bachelor party.
Also for some reason the movie Barton Fink comes to mind, or the Great Gatsby.

> And while I don't advocate drugs, that too is a reference to movies. Its the whole 'Airplane'
spoofs where Lloyd Bridges talks about how today was a bad day for giving up  <insert your
favorite drug> ...