hbase-user mailing list archives

From AnandaVelMurugan Chandra Mohan <ananthu2...@gmail.com>
Subject Rowkey hashing to avoid hotspotting
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2012 05:30:11 GMT

I am using Hbase to store data about mechanical components. Each component
has model no. and serial no. and some other attributes.

I would be querying my data mostly by model no. and serial no. So I created
a composite key with these two attributes and added timestamp to make it

To filter the data, I use rowkey filter with regex string comparator and it
works well with sample seed data. Now I am afraid whether this set up will
lead to region server hotspotting when we load production data in HBase. I
read hashing may solve this problem. Can some one help me in implementing
hashing the row key? Also I would want the row filter to work as I have to
display the number of components in a web page and I use row key filter for
implementing that functionality? Any guidance would be of great help.