hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Recommended Production setup
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 22:05:17 GMT
On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 3:01 AM, Amlan Roy <amlan.roy@cleartrip.com> wrote:
> 1.       I have used Hbase-0.92.0 with Hadoop-1.0.0 for our POC. Are these
> versions production ready?

If you look at each website you'll see that HBase 0.92.1 is out (bug
fix release over 0.92.0) and so is Hadoop 1.0.3 (same release
concept). I'd recommend finalizing on those.

> 2.       Initial setup I have thought is:
> a. One Master machine. It will be used as Secondary Namenode also.
> b. One Namenode. It will be used as backup Master also.
> c. Three dedicated Zookeeper servers.
> d. Five machines that will be used as Datanode and Regionserver.

Lots of waste on the ZK size of things. Considering that your cluster
will be dead if the machine that hosts the NN dies then I would
suggest you put just 1 ZK node there and use the two others for DN+RS.
The only reason at your scale to keep a separate ZK would be if you
need it for other clusters/services.

Hope this helps,

J-D