hbase-user mailing list archives

From Sateesh Lakkarsu <lakka...@gmail.com>
Subject hbase HFile v1 size limit
Date Sun, 22 Jul 2012 18:36:35 GMT
"For the 0.90.x codebase, the upper-bound of regionsize is about 4Gb, with
a default of 256Mb. For 0.92.x codebase, due to the HFile v2 change much
larger regionsizes can be supported (e.g., 20Gb)." ... from
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html ...

Unfortunately, I cannot upgrade to 0.92.x/cdh4 right away and have limited
hardware for some time, so want to understand the reasoning behind the
HFile limit in v1 so that I can weigh my options. (make use of bigger
region size, increase number of regions/regionserver, wait for more nodes
and spread)

- why is the limit 4GB in 0.90.x?

- if it is a hard limit... would like to hear experiences from people about:

-- what is the normal region size?

-- has anyone been running with 3-4G region sizes.

I do understand compactions will take longer, index size can be big
depending on key size, read performance can be impacted, may be region
splitting will be a problem... what else should I be worried about?

I have pre-split regions with known bounds, lots of RAM on each node (96G),
no swap, controlled compactions, no MR on this etc... so I believe I have
optimal set-up.

Thanks.