hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: WAL corruption
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 20:39:32 GMT
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Bryan Keller <bryanck@gmail.com> wrote:
> During an upgrade of my cluster to 0.90 to 0.92 over the weekend, the WAL (files in the
/hbase/.logs directory) was corrupted and it prevented HBase from starting up. The exact exception
was "java.io.IOException: Could not obtain the last block locations" on the WAL files.

Next time, run hdfs fsck and see what it says about your WALs.

> I was able to recover by deleting the /hbase/.logs directory. My question is, if HBase
had no pending updates, i.e. nothing writing to it, is there any risk of data loss by deleting
the WAL directory? For example, does rebalancing, flushing, or compaction use the WAL or is
the WAL used only for inserts/updates/deletes?

Only by inserts, etc.

You could have lost data if edits were in memory on regionserver only
and they had not yet been flushed.

View raw message