hbase-user mailing list archives

From Xiaobo Gu <guxiaobo1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Embedded table data model
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2012 06:27:07 GMT
but they are other writers insert new transactions into the table when
customers do new transactions.

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Ian Varley <ivarley@salesforce.com> wrote:
> Hi Xiaobo -
>
> For HBase, this is doable; you could have a single table in HBase where each row is a
customer (with the customerid as the rowkey), and columns for each of the 300 attributes that
are directly part of the customer entity. This is sparse, so you'd only take up space for
the attributes that actually exist for each customer.

> You could then have (possibly in another column family, but not necessarily) an additional
column for each transaction, where the column name is composed of a date concatenated with
the transaction id, in which you store the 30 attributes as serialized into a single byte
array in the cell value. (Or, you could alternately do each attribute as its own column but
there's no advantage to doing so, since presumably a transaction is roughly like an immutable
event that you wouldn't typically change just a single attribute of.) A schema for this (if
spelled out in an xml representation) could be:

>   <key>
>     <column name="customerid">
>   </key>
>   <columnfamily name="1">
>     <column name="customer_attribute_1" />
>     <column name="customer_attribute_2" />
>     <column name="customer_attribute_300" />
>   </columnFamily>
>   <columnFamily name="2">
>     <entity name="transaction" values="serialized">
>       <key>
>         <column name="transaction_date" type="date">
>         <column name="transaction_id" />
>       </key>
>       <column name="transaction_attribute_1" />
>       <column name="transaction_attribute_2" />
>       <column name="transaction_attribute_30" />
>     </entity>
>   </columnFamily>
>
> (This isn't real HBase syntax, it's just an abstract way to show you the structure.)
In practice, HBase isn't doing anything "special" with the entity that lives nested inside
your table; it's just a matter of convention, that you could "see" it that way. The customer-level
attributes (like, say, "customer_name" and "customer_address") would be literal column names
(aka column qualifiers) embedded in your code, whereas the transaction-oriented columns would
be created at runtime with column names like "2012-07-11 12:34:56_TXN12345", and values that
are simply collection objects (containing the 30 attributes) serialized into a byte array.

> In this scenario, you get fast access to any customer by ID, and further to a range of
transactions by date (using, say, a column pagination filter). This would perform roughly
equivalently regardless of how many customers are in the table, or how many transactions exist
for each customer. What you'd lose on this design would be the ability to get a single transaction
for a single customer by ID (since you're storing them by date). But if you need that, you
could actually store it both ways. You also might be introducing some extra contention on
concurrent transaction PUT requests for a single client, because they'd have to fight over
a lock for the row (but that's probably not a big deal, since it's only contentious within
each customer).

> You might find my presentation on designing HBase schemas (from this year's HBaseCon)
useful: