hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: HBASE -- Regionserver and QuorumPeer ?
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 05:11:45 GMT
I'm sorry I'm losing it.

Running  RS on a machine where DN isn't running?
So then the RS can't store its regions locally. Not sure if that would ever be a good idea
or recommended.

Thought the initial question is running ZK on the same node as a RS which isn't a good idea
and a recipe for failure....

Following KISS is a much better way of life than taking Crystal Meth. Its one way to avoid
those nasty 'dead hooker problems'. *

*<rant>
	<explanation>
		Just to explain KISS and what I mean by a 'dead hooker' problem...

		KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid
		This is an engineering principle used to teach engineering students that the best solutions
are the ones that are straight forward and that if you attempt to get too clever, you always
		get some sort of blow back in your face.  It usually hurts and its always self inflicted.

		'dead hooker problems'  - are the theoretical problems of how to get rid of the dead hooker
from your hotel room after your party of Hookers, Booze and either Crystal Meth or 				Cocaine
goes terribly wrong and you wake up the next morning with a nasty hangover and a dead body
that you have to get out of your hotel room before the cleaning ladies come 		knocking on
your hotel room door. While I've never experienced this... I can't recall how many movies
have this as a plot or sub plot.

		Not that I'm attempting to advocate drugs or killing hookers, unless its with a type writer
or text editor when you want to write your next failed movie script.
	</explanation>

	So here's my rant...

	I'm not picking on the OP, but in general there's a class of posts where the OP starts a
thread by ignoring the common wisdom captured in books, blogs and Apache wikis when setting
up 	a cluster.

	When things don't work, they ultimately post here and wonder why they don't work.

	The key to happiness is to not ignore the conventional wisdom and when starting out with
Hadoop,  follow the suggested set ups. Remember that the key is to first grok Hadoop before
	you attempt and doing more advanced things in terms of cluster configurations. That is what
is meant by KISS. Accept that Hadoop is just a tool used by many to solve problems requiring
	a parallel framework.

	Dead Hooker problems may be a great plot device, but in real life, when under a time crunch,
they are something one should avoid.  ;-)

</rant>

For those of you who don't appreciate my sense of humor, try another example... (Also note...
I don't know how this will translate to another language other than English so the meaning
of this could be lost in translation...)

Your wife has invited a bunch of her co-workers, including her boss, over for a dinner. You,
being the good spouse are responsible for some of the meal prep. Rather than go with a tried
and true recipe, you decide to try something new. And not only try a new recipe, you also
decide to improvise and try new ingredients and do your own thing.   Not really a good idea,
and unless you are incredibly lucky, or a really good cook with a talent for creating new
recipes, you are more than likely going to end up in the dog house.

Take it from a guy who usually lives in the dog house for one reason or another... following
the recipes and not trying something new when the pressure for success is on... much less
stress in your life.  :-)

Again, with respect to Hadoop, there are a lot of moving parts where things can go wrong.
I've got this drinking buddy named Murphy... you know the guy, he wrote this law... ;-)

HTH

-Mikey