hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Hbase bkup options
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:49:00 GMT
Amian,

Like always the answer to your question is... it depends.

First, how much data are we talking about?

What's the value of the underlying data?

One possible scenario...
You run a M/R job to copy data from the table to an HDFS file, that is then copied to attached
storage on an edge node and then to tape.
Depending on how much data, how much disk is in the attached storage you may want to keep
a warm copy there, a 'warmer/hot' copy on HDFS and then a cold copy on tape off to some offsite
storage facility.

There are other options, but it all depends on what you want to achieve.

With respect to the other tools...

You can export  (which is a m/r job) to a local directory, then use distcp to a different
cluster.  hadoop fs -copyToLocal will let you copy off the cluster.
You could write your own code, but you don't get much gain over existing UNIX/Linux tools.