hbase-user mailing list archives

From Pablo Musa <pa...@psafe.com>
Subject Retrieve Put timestamp
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2012 22:13:05 GMT
Hey guys,
in my application the HBase timestamp is used as version in my logic.
I would like to know what is the best way to insert a new record and get its timestamp.

I have come up with two possibilities:

/* I could force timestamp, but it is not a good idea since different servers
 * write into HBase which could lead to crazy behavior */
new Put(row, timestamp);

/* Or I could write into HBase and read it back. But I don't know how much overhead
 * this option causes.*/
public void put(Put put) throws IOException {
    byte[] row = put.getRow();
    KeyValue kv = hTableInterface.get(new Get(row)).getColumnLatest(family, qualifier);
    long version = kv.getTimestamp();

Is there any better way to do it?