hbase-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Keller <brya...@gmail.com>
Subject WAL corruption
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 17:37:53 GMT
During an upgrade of my cluster to 0.90 to 0.92 over the weekend, the WAL (files in the /hbase/.logs
directory) was corrupted and it prevented HBase from starting up. The exact exception was
"java.io.IOException: Could not obtain the last block locations" on the WAL files.

I was able to recover by deleting the /hbase/.logs directory. My question is, if HBase had
no pending updates, i.e. nothing writing to it, is there any risk of data loss by deleting
the WAL directory? For example, does rebalancing, flushing, or compaction use the WAL or is
the WAL used only for inserts/updates/deletes?