hbase-user mailing list archives

From Christian Schäfer <syrious3...@yahoo.de>
Subject Question about compression
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 10:21:46 GMT
Hi there,

two beginner question I got concerning compression:

a) Where does compression (like snappy) actually occur.

I set snappy to a column family and filled it with some data (30 MB) -> 640x480 array of
11 Bit values.

After flushing the memstore the size of the data kept exactly the same but flushing was 10x
faster than flushing of the table without compression.

So it's "only" the transfer that is compressed? Or are there possibilities to apply compression
to the HFiles?

(I'm still using 0.90.4-cdh3u2 because upgrading instructions seems quite tedious to me)

b) Are there some possibilities to apply delta-compression to HBase to minimize disk usage
due to duplicated data?

Has it to be added or even built or is it already included in HBase?

Thanks for any feedback.

regards
Chris