hbase-user mailing list archives

From Christian Schäfer <syrious3...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Presplit regions when creating a table
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2012 11:43:53 GMT
Simplest way to pre-split a table is on table creation using the hbase shell by specifying
the key-splits.

This could look like this: create 'mytable', 'myfamily', {SPLITS => ['111111', '222222',
'333333', '444444']}

resulting in 5 regions: [below-111111[ , [111111-222222[, [222222-333333[, [333333-444444[,
[444444-above[

If you have  a limited amount of attributes you store per row you should consider using OpenTSDB
that's built on top of hbase and aims on time series data.

regards
Chris

----- Ursprüngliche Message -----
Von: Prakrati Agrawal <Prakrati.Agrawal@mu-sigma.com>
An: "user@hbase.apache.org" <user@hbase.apache.org>
CC:
Gesendet: 13:23 Mittwoch, 4.Juli 2012
Betreff: Presplit regions when creating a table

Dear  all,

I am using Hbase 0.90.6
I have a streaming data which I want to store in Hbase table. I thought of the row key design
as "typeString_date_Id" where typeString is of 5 types.  Now the problem is that the types
are not evenly distributed i.e I have 1 type a lot more than another type due to which if
I start inserting the data, I will see hotspotting in some region servers as compared to others.
To avoid this, I thought I will presplit the regions. I am not understanding how to use the
region splitter to my benefit. Can I get a code snippet on how to do it. I am using RegionSplitter
interface to do the same.

Thanks
Prakrati

________________________________
This email message may contain proprietary, private and confidential information. The information
transmitted is intended only for the person(s) or entities to which it is addressed. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may
be illegal. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the message
from your system.

Mu Sigma takes all reasonable steps to ensure that its electronic communications are free
from viruses. However, given Internet accessibility, the Company cannot accept liability for
any virus introduced by this e-mail or any attachment and you are advised to use up-to-date
virus checking software.