hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ramchander Varadarajan <ram...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Finding the correct region server
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2012 17:15:51 GMT
Hi all,

We are evaluating Hbase to store some metadata information on a very large scale. As of now,
our architecture looks like this.

Machine 1:
    Runs Client 1
    Runs Region Server 1
    Runs Data Node 1

Machine n:
    Runs Client n
    Runs Region Server n
    Runs Data Node n

Now, say, we have only one Region for the data set at the moment and its maxing out, and the
region is in Region Server 1. If a flood of new requests come in to Machine n, and it tries
to store the data, will Region Server n store it locally on its data node n, or will the requests
be routed to Region Server 1 and a new region is created there after it splits?

The reason I ask is because I want to see if a Client can be made sticky to a region server.
That way, if a user with an id 1111 comes in, he will be sent to Client 1 all the time, because
we know Region Server 1 will have his region. We will know that by using his id to figure
that out upfront. Just trying to minimize the latency further. ( Of course I understand that
if nodes are down, there will be ways to route the traffic to another host to handle the users
that fall in that bucket)

thanks in advance