hbase-user mailing list archives

From Sid Kumar <sqlsid...@gmail.com>
Subject Increment Counters in HBase during MapReduce
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2012 00:49:23 GMT
Hi everyone,

    I have a use case in HBase that I was wondering if someone may have
stumbled upon. I am maintaining an ad impressions table with columns that
are counters for certain metrics. I started using the incrementColumnValue
method part of the HTable API to update these metrics and that works great.
    I was wondering if this function could be used from a MapReduce job.
The TableOutputFormat supports only Delete and Put operations. Using the
Incremental counters saves me from doing any aggregations in my Map Reduce
code. Ideally i would like to just call this function in my mapper and
wouldn't even need a Reducer.
    Has anyone run into this use case? I would also love to know if there
are any better alternatives of solving this too. Any info would be great.

Thanks
Sid