hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ted Yu <yuzhih...@gmail.com>
Subject 'merges' or 'splits' used as Column Family name
Date Sat, 23 Jun 2012 15:38:30 GMT
Hi,
Background: Dave Wang plans to backport HBASE-6158 to 0.90 branch.

from HBASE-6158:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-6158?focusedCommentId=13288890&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13288890

> Is this change incompatible for rolling upgrade?
I don't think so. These are temporary work folders which get cleaned up
routinely and particularly at Region Server (re)start for each region
through HRegion.initialize().
However, a possible side effect could be that "merges" and "splits" folders
created by pre-upgrade code (which somehow did not get cleaned up during a
shutdown) may continue to exist on the file system as the cleanup code
would no longer be looking for them. But this is better fixed in the
upgrade scripts by deleting these folders if they are found to be a work
folder instead of a CF container folder.

I want to poll HBase users whether anyone has used 'merges' or 'splits' as
Column Family name in 0.90.x releases.

Your feedback is appreciated.