hbase-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kelly <simongdke...@gmail.com>
Subject Pre-split table using shell
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 08:17:16 GMT

I'm getting some unexpected results with a pre-split table where some of
the regions are not getting any data.

The table keys are UUID (generated using Java's UUID.randomUUID() ) which
I'm storing as a byte[16]:

    key[0-7] = uuid most significant bits
    key[8-15] = uuid least significant bits

The table is created via the shell as follows:

    create 'table', {NAME => 'cf'}, {SPLITS_FILE => 'splits.txt'}

The splits.txt is generated using the code here:
http://pastebin.com/DAExXMDz which generates 32 regions split between x00
and xFF. I have also tried with 16 byte regions keys (x00x00... to

As far as I understand this should distribute the rows evenly across the
regions but I'm getting a bunch of regions with no rows. I'm also confused
as the the ordering of the regions since it seems the start and end keys
aren't really matching up correctly. You can see the regions and the
requests they are getting here: http://pastebin.com/B4771g5X

Thanks in advance for the help.