hbase-user mailing list archives

From David Koch <ogd...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Increment Counters in HBase during MapReduce
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2012 21:15:44 GMT
Hello J-D

I have a similar requirement as that presented by the original poster, i.e
updating a totals count without having to push the entire data set through
the Mapper again.

Are you advising against calling incrementColumnValue on a mapper's HTable
instance because the operation is not idempotent or are there other
reasons? It is even suggested in the docs:
http://hbase.apache.org/book/mapreduce.example.html (section 7.2.6).

Do you know of any "count-exactly-once" implementations on top of Hadoop
Map/Reduce?

Thanks,

/David