hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Collation order of items
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 17:14:14 GMT
On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Tom Brown <tombrown52@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any way to control introduce a different ordering scheme from
> the base comparable bytes?  My use case is that I am using UTF-8 data
> for my keys, and I would like to have scans use UTF-8 collation.
>
> Could this be done by providing an alternate implementation of
> WritableComparable<ImmutableBytesWritable>?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately no Tom.  The database is all sorted the same way.
Different sorts per table would complicate system interactions (the
catalog tables would have to change sort by table).  It might be
doable but it would take some work.

Can you store your data UTF-16 or UTF-32?  Its a while since I dealt
w/ this stuff but IIRC, their sort order is byte order?  (WARNING!  I
could be way off here).

St.Ack