hbase-user mailing list archives

From Prakrati Agrawal <Prakrati.Agra...@mu-sigma.com>
Subject Getting Null Pointer Exception when using Map Reduce for retrieval
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2012 07:29:18 GMT
Dear all

I created a database in HBase. First I was retrieving it using Java APIs but it was taking
a lot of time(43 seconds) to retrieve it. I thought of writing Map Reduce code to retrieve
it to make it faster. But I am getting Null Pointer Exception in my code. Following is the
excerpt from my code:

TableMapReduceUtil.initTableMapperJob(
                                                  tableName,        // input HBase table name
                                                  scanRows,             // Scan instance to
control CF and attribute selection
                                                  MyMapper.class,   // mapper
                                                  null,             // mapper output key
                                                  null,             // mapper output value
                                                  job);
job.setOutputFormatClass(NullOutputFormat.class);   // because we aren't emitting anything
from mapper

boolean b = job.waitForCompletion(true);
if (!b) {
              throw new IOException("error with job!");
}

The error I get is as follows:
            at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.TableMapReduceUtil.initTableMapperJob(TableMapReduceUtil.java:100)
            at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.mapreduce.TableMapReduceUtil.initTableMapperJob(TableMapReduceUtil.java:75)

Please help me

Thanks and Regards
Prakrati Agrawal | Developer - Big Data(I&D)| 9731648376 | www.mu-sigma.com

________________________________
This email message may contain proprietary, private and confidential information. The information
transmitted is intended only for the person(s) or entities to which it is addressed. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may
be illegal. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the message
from your system.

Mu Sigma takes all reasonable steps to ensure that its electronic communications are free
from viruses. However, given Internet accessibility, the Company cannot accept liability for
any virus introduced by this e-mail or any attachment and you are advised to use up-to-date
virus checking software.