hbase-user mailing list archives

From Amandeep Khurana <ama...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: When does compaction actually occur?
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 23:04:32 GMT
Tom,

Old cells will get deleted as a part of the next major compaction, which is typically recommended
to be done once a day, when the load on the system is at its lowest.

FWIW… To have a TTL of 3600 take effect, you'll have to do a major compaction every hour,
which is an expensive operation specially at scale. Chances are that your I/O loads will shoot
up and latencies will spike for operations to HBase. Can you tell us why a TTL of 3600s is
of interest? What are your access patterns?

-Amandeep