hbase-user mailing list archives

From Amandeep Khurana <ama...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shared Cluster between HBase and MapReduce
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 00:20:06 GMT

These are general recommendations and definitely change based on the access patterns and the
way you will be using HBase and MapReduce. In general, if you are building a latency sensitive
application on top of HBase, running a MapReduce job at the same time will impact performance
due to I/O contention. If your main access patterns is going to be running MapReduce over
HBase tables, you should absolutely consider collocating the two frameworks. Now, these recommendations
might change based on the resources you have on your nodes (CPU, disk, memory).

Having a single HDFS cluster and using some hosts for HBase and others for MapReduce only
gets you a common storage fabric. It doesn't solve the problem of reading data into MapReduce
tasks from remote hosts (region servers in this case) and is pretty much the same as having
two separate clusters. In case of two separate clusters, you'll be running your MapReduce
jobs to talk to a remote HBase instance. You don't have to export data out of that cluster
manually onto the MapReduce cluster to run jobs on it.

Hope that makes it clearer.