hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <lhofha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: When does compaction actually occur?
Date Sat, 02 Jun 2012 12:42:53 GMT
A scan should *never* should you expired cells (unless you're doing a "raw" scan).

If cells haven't been collected, yet, they'll be filtered by the scan. In any case the expired
cells are not returned by the scan.

Can you tell us more details?
The scan code, the timestamps you get, a describe of your column families, etc.

Thanks.

-- Lars

________________________________
 From: Tom Brown <tombrown52@gmail.com>
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Friday, June 1, 2012 3:59 PM
Subject: When does compaction actually occur?

I have a table that holds rotating data. It has a TTL of 3600. For
some reason, when I scan the table I still get old cells that are much
older than that TTL.

I have tried issuing a compaction request via the web UI, but that
didn't seem to do anything.

Am I misunderstanding the data model used by HBase?  Is there anything
else I can check to verify the functionality of my integration?

I am using HBase 0.92 with Hadoop 1.0.2.

Thanks in advance!

--Tom