hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Srikanth P. Shreenivas" <Srikanth_Shreeni...@mindtree.com>
Subject Re: hbase as a primary store, or is it more for "2nd class" data?
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 19:35:23 GMT
Yes, agreed that data can be lost in any DB.  However, isnt it more frequently seen in NoSql
DBs.  In case of Hbase, Is it not possible for underlying HDFS to lose data if nodes went
down abrubtly few times.

Andrew Purtell <andrew.purtell@gmail.com> wrote:

Any data store may lose data, as a generic statement, so maybe you had something more specific
in mind?

On May 13, 2012, at 9:21 PM, "Srikanth P. Shreenivas" <Srikanth_Shreenivas@mindtree.com>
wrote:

> There is a possibility that you may lose data, and hence, I would not use it for first
class data if data cannot be re-created.
> If you can derive data from secondary source and store data in HBase for performance
gains, then, it is a viable use case.

> Regards,
> Srikanth

inbox, or storing your chat messages or wall posts, I don't really think that is important
(and really it isn't hehe)

> I was just making an observation and wanted to get a feel for what others think.  Obviously
ever tool has its purpose and domain, and I was curious as to what others have seen in production
usage etc.

> (I do realize some use cases the data is very important like analytic data that usually
correlates to advertising $$ etc.)