hbase-user mailing list archives

From Norbert Burger <norbert.bur...@gmail.com>
Subject auto-added RegionServers
Date Thu, 24 May 2012 03:30:58 GMT
We had a situation earlier today in our PROD cluster where a test machine
was accidentally configured with our PROD cluster config.  On startup, the
HMaster promptly accepted the RS into the fold, and started re-assigning
regions to it.  The mass migration caused write latencies to increase, and
it eventually took an HMaster restart to bring things back to normal.

DFS has the dfs.hosts conf setting, which dictates which datanodes are
allowed to join.  In our setup, we're managing dfs.hosts via configuration
management.  From what I can tell looking through
hbase/master/ServerManager.java, there is no equivalent setting on the
HBase side.  Do folks already rely on this auto-add feature, or would it be
helpful if there was a similar stop-gap config param for regionservers?

Norbert