hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ben Lisbakken <lisba...@gmail.com>
Subject HBase RegionServer can't connect to Master
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 17:21:33 GMT
Hello --

I've got a problem where the RegionServers try to connect to localhost for
the Master, because that's what's being reported to them by the ZooKeeper.
 Since they are not on the same machine, the requests fail:
2012-05-01 18:01:27,111 INFO
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer: Attempting connect to
Master server at localhost,60000
2012-05-01 18:02:27,276 WARN
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer: Unable to connect to
master. Retrying. Error was:

I've looked through the documentation, it seems there is no way to
statically set the master's address.  I've read through this archive a bit
and found this thread:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hbase-user/201112.mbox/%3C28a2f04e.aa30.13440f376a4.Coremail.exceptionqin@163.com%3E

The suggestions are basically to modify /etc/hosts.

In my situation, I don't think I can use this approach.  I am doing an
automated deployment on freshly deployed VMs and having a script modify
/etc/hosts doesn't fit in well with this.

There has to be a better way to force the master to report the correct
address.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Ben