hbase-user mailing list archives

From Tom Brown <tombrow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: aggregation performance
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 15:01:37 GMT
For our solution we are doing some aggregation on the server via
coprocessors. In general, for each row there are 8 columns: 7 columns
that contain numbers (for summation) and 1 column that contains a
hyperloglog counter (about 700bytes). Functionally, this solution
works well and ought to scale with the number of region servers.
However, the individual request performance leaves a little to be
desired. What we've seen is that to scan 40000 rows (aggregated into
3000 rows) takes about 4 seconds.

Our code is in it's early stages (unoptimized) so we hope to see some
significant performance improvements when we run our coprocessor under
a profiler. Our benchmarks were on underpowered machines (only 2gb
RAM) as well.

Hope this helps!

--Tom