hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: [HBase 0.92.1] Too many stores files to compact, compaction moving slowly
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 21:46:05 GMT
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Shrijeet Paliwal
<shrijeet@rocketfuel.com> wrote:
> Ahh of course! Thank you. One question what partition file I give to
> the top partitioner?
> I am trying to parse your last comment.
> "You could figure how many you need by looking at the output of your MR job"
>
> Chicken and egg? Or am I not following you correctly.

I was thinking that your MR job would not look to a table at all to
figure where to partition the data.  Rather, your reducer would write
out files of size N where size N is just under your region max file
size.  After the MR is done, you'll then have M files.  You'll need to
create a table w/ M region boundaries (or M+1?) to match the flies
produced (HFiles write out their first and last keys in metadata
IIRC).  You'll have to override the likes of the
configureIncrementalLoad in HFileOutputFormat methinks.

Its just a suggestion.  I've not dug in on viability.

St.Ack