hbase-user mailing list archives

From mete <efk...@gmail.com>
Subject key design
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 14:56:14 GMT
Hello folks,

i am trying to come up with a nice key design for storing logs in the
company. I am planning to index them  and store row key in the index for
random reads.

I need to balance the writes equally between the R.S. and i could not
understand how opentsdb does that with prefixing the metric id. (i related
metric id with the log type) In my log storage case a log line just has a
type and a date and the rest of it is not really very useful information.

So i think that i can create a table for every distinct log type and i need
a random salt to route to a different R.S. similar to this:
<salt>-<date>

But with this approach i believe i will lose the ability to do effective
partial scans to a specific date. (if for some reason i need that) What do
you think? And for the salt approach do you use randomly generated salts or
hashes that actually mean something? (like the hash of the date)

I am using random uuids at the moment but i am trying to find a better
approach, any feedback is welcome

cheers
Mete