hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: hbase as a primary store, or is it more for "2nd class" data?
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 19:42:02 GMT
You don't really help anyone evaluate their options if you just throw
out nonspecific statements like "There is a possibility that you may
lose data" ... of course there is, with anything. Do you have first or
secondhand knowledge of some specific incident where someone lost data
using HBase? Not a challenge, rather, looking for something
constructive here.

    - Andy

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Srikanth P. Shreenivas
<Srikanth_Shreenivas@mindtree.com> wrote:
> Yes, agreed that data can be lost in any DB.  However, isnt it more frequently seen
in NoSql DBs.  In case of Hbase, Is it not possible for underlying HDFS to lose data if nodes
went down abrubtly few times.

> Andrew Purtell <andrew.purtell@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Any data store may lose data, as a generic statement, so maybe you had something more
specific in mind?

> On May 13, 2012, at 9:21 PM, "Srikanth P. Shreenivas" <Srikanth_Shreenivas@mindtree.com>
wrote:

>> There is a possibility that you may lose data, and hence, I would not use it for
first class data if data cannot be re-created.
>> If you can derive data from secondary source and store data in HBase for performance
gains, then, it is a viable use case.

>> Regards,
>> Srikanth

your inbox, or storing your chat messages or wall posts, I don't really think that is important
(and really it isn't hehe)

>> I was just making an observation and wanted to get a feel for what others think.
 Obviously ever tool has its purpose and domain, and I was curious as to what others have
seen in production usage etc.

>> (I do realize some use cases the data is very important like analytic data that usually
correlates to advertising $$ etc.)