hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: hbase as a primary store, or is it more for "2nd class" data?
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 00:53:36 GMT
We use HBase as a primary store for some data.

The best answer I think you can expect to your line of questioning is "it

It is fair to say a SaaS product built on HBase (or any so-called "NoSQL"
store) would be bleeding edge and advisable only if you really know what
you are doing and more conventional alternatives are not going to work; or,
it's the second iteration of the service and the initial implementation
simply isn't going to scale like you need for it or want it too.

Best regards,

    - Andy

On Sunday, May 13, 2012, S Ahmed wrote:

> I'm interested to learn if people are using hbase as a primary store or is
> it more for "2nd class" type data.
> Pretend you have a CMS product, or eCommerce Saas application:
> What I mean by this is, I consider "primary store" to mean storing the
> actual content (say articles, or blog posts), category data, user
> information, or shopping cart order, product information.
> "2nd class" type data is data like metrics, analytics, log data, or say
> index data (data that can be re-built via the primary store).
> In general 2nd class data is data that if lost, it won't bring the business
> to its knees.
> What do you guys think, am I right?
> i.e. if you are creating a Saas product, it wouldn't be advisible to build
> it using hbase (or it will be kind of bleeding edge architecture).

Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)