hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Of hbase key distribution and query scalability, again.
Date Sat, 26 May 2012 16:25:27 GMT
Hi,

Jumping in on this late...

So maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the problem.

In terms of writing data to be evenly/randomly distributed, you would hash the key (md5 or
SHA-1 as examples).
This works well if you're doing get()s and not a lot of scan()s.

But on reads, how do you get 'hot spotting' ?

Should those rows be cached in memory?

So what am I missing? Besides another cup of coffee?

-Mike

On May 25, 2012, at 1:23 PM, Ian Varley wrote:

> Yeah, I think you're right Dmitriy; there's nothing like that in HBase today as far as
I know. If it'd be useful for you, maybe it would be for others, too; work up a rough patch
and see what people think on the dev list.

> Ian
>
> On May 25, 2012, at 1:02 PM, Dmitriy Lyubimov wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Ian.
>>
>> I am talking about situation when even when we have uniform keys, the
>> query distribution over them is still non-uniform and impossible to
>> predict without sampling query skewness, but skewness is surprisingly
>> great. (as in least active/most active user may differ in activity 100
>> times and there is no way one could now which users are going to be
>> active and which are going to be not active). Assuming there are few
>> very active users, but many low active users, if two active users get
>> into the same region, it creates a hotspot which could have been
>> avoided if region balancer took notions of number of hits the regions
>> are getting recently.
>>
>> Like i pointed out before, such skewness balancer could be fairly
>> easily implemented externally to hbase (as in TotalOrderPartitioner),
>> with exception that it would be interfering with the Hbase's balancer
>> itself so it must be integrated with the balancer in that case.
>>
>> Also another distinct problem is time parameters of such balance
>> controller. The load may be changing fast enough or slow enough so
>> that sampling must be time-weighted itself.
>>
>> All these tehchnicalities make it difficult to implement it outside
>> hbase or use key manipulation (as dynamic nature makes it difficult to
>> deal with key re-assigning to match newly discovered load
>> distribution).
>>
>> Ok I guess there's nothing in HBase like that right now otherwise i
>> would've seen it in the book i suppose...
>>
>> Thanks.
>> -d
>>
>> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Ian Varley <ivarley@salesforce.com> wrote:
>>> Dmitriy,
>>>
>>> If I understand you right, what you're asking about might be called "Read Hotspotting".
For an obvious example, if I distribute my data nicely over the cluster but then say:

>>> for (int x = 0; x < 10000000000; x++) {
>>>  htable.get(new Get(Bytes.toBytes("row1")));
>>> }
>>>
>>> Then naturally I'm only putting read load on the region server that hosts "row1".
That's contrived, of course, you'd never really do that. But I can imagine plenty of situations
where there's an imbalance in query load w/r/t the leading part of the row key of a table.
It's not fundamentally different from "write hotspotting", except that it's probably less
common (it happens frequently in writes because ascending data in a time series or number
sequence is a common thing to insert into a database).

>>> I guess the simple answer is, if you know of non-even distribution of read patterns,
it might be something to consider in a custom partitioning of the data into regions. I don't
know of any other technique (short of some external caching mechanism) that'd alleviate this;
at base, you still have to ask exactly one RS for any given piece of data.