hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Rethinking REST (Re: HBASE-4368 and friends)
Date Sat, 26 May 2012 21:54:31 GMT
This is a recurring pattern:

"I want to do X with the shell" -> Export a servlet on the regionserver that outputs JSON,
and have the shell fetch it

"I want to expose Y (e.g. slow queries)" -> Export a servlet on the regionserver that outputs
JSON and ...

Perhaps it's time to consider consolidating these interfaces on a single port, where they
differ, and more generally re-embed REST into the processes, like the recent Thrift server
embedding in the RS? This would be a new alternative to the current REST gateway that would
function more like HDFS httpfs: a client can contact any RS with a RESTful operation on a
table, and it will be redirected via the HTTP standard mechanism to the RS actually hosting
the target region. And beside such a client API, these admin functions like 4368 and the JMX
export over HTTP we inherit from Hadoop core.

A gateway component could still make sense here as an aggregator, for use cases such as "give
me a full cluster status dump" or "show me all the slow queries on the cluster over the past
hour", or rethinking how scanning via REST might work, or where one might still want to control
access into the cluster (it would do request forwarding in that case).

Best regards,

    - Andy