hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rethinking REST (Re: HBASE-4368 and friends)
Date Sun, 27 May 2012 00:17:36 GMT
On May 26, 2012, at 3:33 PM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:

> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Andrew Purtell
> <andrew.purtell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps it's time to consider consolidating these interfaces on a single port, where
they differ, and more generally re-embed REST into the processes, like the recent Thrift server
embedding in the RS? This would be a new alternative to the current REST gateway that would
function more like HDFS httpfs: a client can contact any RS with a RESTful operation on a
table, and it will be redirected via the HTTP standard mechanism to the RS actually hosting
the target region. And beside such a client API, these admin functions like 4368 and the JMX
export over HTTP we inherit from Hadoop core.

> An integrated REST server could answer questions about the
> regionserver it was on.  It could return list of regions and metrics
> for the server.  +1.
>
> Would the REST server above that answer queries on the regionserver be
> the same as the REST server that we currently have which fields
> queries against hbase tables?  They seem to be different things?

If there is an embedded REST server in every RS it could serve admin interfaces, or client
interfaces, or both. There doesn't necessarily need be a separate REST gateway, though having
one makes sense. Asking the question.

    - Andy