hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ulrich Staudinger <ustaudin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rethinking REST (Re: HBASE-4368 and friends)
Date Sun, 27 May 2012 08:50:33 GMT
hi there,

just some two cent from my side. first of all, it is a great idea. in
the activequant master server, i also embed a simple jetty server that
answers requests for domain specific data over plain http. tools like
R or matlab prefer to receice plain csv data instead of json.
particularly for fetching large amounts of data, the protocol overhead
of json is immense. second, these tools can easily parse csv, as can
excel, qlikview or other usual end user tools.

so, i suggest to think about two questions:

1) what are the use cases
2) what's the output format.

on (2), i suggest to implement it in a flexible way, so that we can,
for example, implement a specific interface and have a new output and
input format writer implementation.

if anyone starts a wiki page somewhere, i would be happy to review and
contribute some use cases along with descriptions.

connect on xing or linkedin. sent from my tablet.

On 27.05.2012, at 02:18, Andrew Purtell <andrew.purtell@gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 26, 2012, at 3:33 PM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Andrew Purtell
>> <andrew.purtell@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Perhaps it's time to consider consolidating these interfaces on a single port,
where they differ, and more generally re-embed REST into the processes, like the recent Thrift
server embedding in the RS? This would be a new alternative to the current REST gateway that
would function more like HDFS httpfs: a client can contact any RS with a RESTful operation
on a table, and it will be redirected via the HTTP standard mechanism to the RS actually hosting
the target region. And beside such a client API, these admin functions like 4368 and the JMX
export over HTTP we inherit from Hadoop core.
>> An integrated REST server could answer questions about the
>> regionserver it was on.  It could return list of regions and metrics
>> for the server.  +1.
>> Would the REST server above that answer queries on the regionserver be
>> the same as the REST server that we currently have which fields
>> queries against hbase tables?  They seem to be different things?
> If there is an embedded REST server in every RS it could serve admin interfaces, or client
interfaces, or both. There doesn't necessarily need be a separate REST gateway, though having
one makes sense. Asking the question.
>    - Andy

View raw message