hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deployment Best Practices
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 21:52:02 GMT
We package into RPMs and manage configuration with Puppet.

Have a look at Apache Bigtop (incubating) for RPM and DEB package build harness and integration/smoke
tests. It's a promising project.

You can also Google around for presentations on this topic by Arvind at StumbleUpon. He talks
about how they use tarballs for deploy and Puppet for configuration management and Fabric
for coordination.

I'd say RPM package management and Puppet configuration management is common, maybe most common,
but that last bit is just a guess.

Hope that helps,

     - Any

On May 30, 2012, at 2:08 PM, "Peter Naudus" <pnaudus@dataraker.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Is there a "community standard" / "best" way to deploy HBase to a cluster? We're in the
process of setting up a ~15 node cluster and I'm curious how you all go about your deployments.
Do you package the code into an RPM, place it into a central YUM repository, and then drive
the install via Puppet? Or do you rsync the code and use shell scripts? Or all the above?