hbase-user mailing list archives

From " Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda" <mlor...@uci.cu>
Subject Re: Efficient way to read a large number of files in S3 and upload their content to HBase
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 15:56:47 GMT
Like I said before, I need to store all click streams of a advertising network to do later
deep analysis for this huge data.
We want to store in two places:
- first to Amazon S3
- then to HBase

But I think that wen don't need S3 if we can store in a proper HBase cluster using the asynchbase
library from StumbleUpon, and then we can create some MapReduce's jobs for analysis.

What do you think?

Regards
----- Mensaje original -----
De: Ian Varley <ivarley@salesforce.com>
Para: user@hbase.apache.org
Enviado: Thu, 24 May 2012 17:12:35 -0400 (CDT)
Asunto: Re: Efficient way to read a large number of files in S3 and upload their content to
HBase

This is a question I see coming up a lot. Put differently: what characteristics make it useful
to use HBase on top of HDFS, as opposed to just flat files in HDFS directly? "Quantity" isn't
really an answer, b/c HDFS does fine with quantity (better, even).

The basic answers are that HBase is good if:

a) You want to be able to read random small bits of data in the middle of (large) HDFS files
with low latency (i.e. without loading the whole thing from disk)
b) You want to be able to modify (insert) random small bits of data in the middle of (immutable,
sorted) HDFS files without writing the whole thing out again each time.

If all you want is a way to quickly store a lot of data, it's hard to beat writing to flat
files (only /dev/null/ is faster, but it doesn't support sharding). :) But if you want to
then be able to do either (a) or (b) above, that's where you start looking at HBase. I assume
in your case, you need sub-second access to single records (or ranges of records) anywhere
in the set?

Ian